All Too Surreal

Monday 3/30/20: I went on a walk around 7 at night with my sister. The sunset was beautiful, but the silence was deafening. I urged my sister to take a picture of me in the middle of the road so we could remember this moment for years to come. Streets all around that were once filled with cars left and right, are now bare. There were not even cars parked on the street, as no visitors are welcome in people’s houses anymore. We only passed by a few other people throughout our walk, and as we see them strolling towards us off in the distance, it is up to eye communication to decide who will move to the street, as to maintain the six foot distance protocol. As we walked around
the neighborhood and into the small village center, nearly all stores and restaurants 
were desolate. Only a few restaurants were even open, but held signs saying “curbside pickup only.” It is a surreal feeling to know that the once lively and communal small town, is now bare of everything in the passing of just a few short days.


Wednesday 4/1/20: I couldn’t tell you the last time I even stepped foot in a car. It had been at least two weeks. The excitement and adventures that take place during the days are rare, as all we can do is sit in the house. I decided I wanted to get out a little, so I went with my mom and sister 
in the car for a short drive during sunset. Nearly all the streets were bare and we saw only a few people walking as families or with their dogs. This was the first time in a while, that I was looking forward to something. I was waiting for the perfect day, where it wasn’t too cloudy, to go out and drive around. It was the adventure I had been longing to have, since being locked up and bared by walls.
Only five states are left now that are not under shelter at home laws. Florida just issued a lock down, but far too late into the game. There were still travelers last weekend vacationing in Florida, so that means many went back to their home states and possibly carried the virus over borders. Almost the whole world is now on complete lock down, which is very rare because there are very few global issues. Typically there are conflicts between a few countries, or an illness rising in one nation, but a world-wide crisis is rare.
We started zoom classes today, so I was able to see my teachers and classmates, which was a nice change in scenery. Usually the only faces I see during 'school days' is my sister's from across the dining room table. Many teachers are not confident that we will even return to school this year. It feels like all people have now, is bad news. Events are getting canceled left and right even if they are not scheduled till the summer. I have had to deal with many let downs, as programs that I have put hours of work into, are getting canceled, like Dance Day and a trip to perform at Carnegie Hall. It is weird how the world has paused in an instant, and nothing but lonely trips to the grocery fill the streets. 


Friday 4/3/20: WOW, I can’t believe it is already Friday again. The weeks are going by faster and faster, as I get more used to my new life and routine stationed at home. I have been trying to vary up the activities I do with all the extra free time, although this week was jam packed. We started back up with ‘classes’ this week, so most of my days consisted of work and zoom calls. I really tried to work ahead on assignments due next week, so I don’t get behind. I have been baking and cooking a lot since this whole quarantine started. We have made all of our meals at home the past three weeks, because we don’t want to even risk getting take out food, because you don’t know who has touched the food or worn gloves.
This afternoon, I plan on making challah for Shabbat. Friday nights and Saturdays have been really special the past few weeks because everyone in my family is home. Shabbat is a weekly holiday where you are supposed to relax and just be in the moment. We haven’t been using technology during Shabbat the past several weeks as we are trying to be more observant of the holiday. Typically a Saturday for our family looks like getting up and dressed nicely for synagogue, and then 
after, running from activity to activity. It is a good different, to not have to constantly check our phones to communicate and instead just be together laughing, reading, and playing games. Even though the world is suffering greatly from the outbreak of Covid19, it has brought many silver linings to the forefront. This odd and surreal time has really showed me what is important in life: family, love, and care for one another throughout the greater community. 
The successful challah bread I made last Friday. yummm....

Comments

  1. Nice job, Ari! Thoughtful posts and cool pix. (Bread looks amazing).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Connection

Pink Tax